Re: Fish-eating theropods

At 12:36 PM 11/5/96 -0500, Tracy Ford wrote:

>I never did like the 'Fish eating' Baryonyx. The huge claw on it's hand
>may not have even been on the hand (that's what was said in the
>articles about it). So it had a long low head and big teeth. Why
>couldn't it have hunted Iguanodon? No reason it couldn't.

Indeed.  Spinosaurid snouts are very crocodile-like, but many of the big
crocs (the salt-water, the Nile, etc.) munch on terrestrial tetrapods as
well as fish.

>But then there is the new Spinosaurus skull mateiral that has a very
>long premaxilla that looks like a gavial, may be some did eat fish, at
>least part time.

I hope that they finally track that specimen down.  It is wonderful, and
another great addition to the Theropod Hall of Fame.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

"There are some who call me...  Tim."
-- Tim the Enchanter, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
---------- subtitle --[Monty Python ik den Holy Grailen]

"Tim?!?  They called me TIM?!?!"
-- Tom the Paleontologist, on seeing "The Ultimate Guide to T. rex" :-)