Re: Fish-eating theropods

Tracy Ford wrote:

>I never did like the 'Fish eating' Baryonyx. The huge claw on it's hand
>may not have even been on the hand (that's what was said in the
>articles about it). So it had a long low head and big teeth. Why
>couldn't it have hunted Iguanodon? No reason it couldn't.
>
>But then there is the new Spinosaurus skull mateiral that has a very
>long premaxilla that looks like a gavial, may be some did eat fish, at
>least part time.
>
>Tracy

When I first heard that Brayonyx was thought to be a piscivore, I too
thought that the claw was the wrong shape the the crocodile-like snout was
like the wrong kind of crocodile (fish-eating crocodiles have long thin
snouts, the snout of Baryonyx is more like a generalist feeding croco such
as Crocodylus porosus). But when I heard that they found fish scales in the
stomach region of Baryonyx, I was convinced that it probably was a
piscivore.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist