foodstuff at the tops of conifers

Robert J Meyerson writes:

> Even if they weren't at the very tops of the trees, conifers (as well as
>  most trees, now that I think about it) have an annoying habit of
>  becoming rather sparse near the very top.

Not true. I've just spent 2 weeks touring Ca. with a botanist whose speciality
was cypresses, and one thing that strikes me is that _many_ different species
of
conifers have _no_ foliage at lower levels; they lose them due to loss of
light,
and concentrate the foliage at upper, well-lit canopies (this for _forest_
species). Other species, such as (sorry can't think of Latin name) (English)
Scot's Pine is an open heathland tree and yet has a canopy at the top. Ditto
California's Digger Pine and other species.

Plenty of foodstuff for an adapted animal.

martin