Re: FISHY SPINOSAURS

Jonathan Wagner wrote:

>>The material in question is a GIGANTIC partial skull shown by Angela Milner
>>at the 1996 SVP meeting.
>
>        For those of us wtill feeling sorry for ourselves because we
>couldn't go to SVP (anyone who knows where '97 is, please e-mail me
>personally),

Well, it is general enough information that lots of people might want to know:

1997 - Chicago
1998 - Snowbird, Utah
1999 - Denver
2000 - Mexico City (I may have the last two backwards).

> would you (Dr. Holtz) kindly repeat your earlier courtesy and
>elaborate on the specimen shown by Milner, if this is at all possible?

Sure.  I guess that would be okay.

There is a lot of spinosaurid material showing up in northern Africa.  Some
of it is in scientific collections; other material is in private hands.
Milner showed a slide of an incredibly huge snout (palatal view) of a
long-nosed form (Spinosaurus itself, perhaps), and noted that this
particular specimen is in a private collection somewhere.

>>Unfortunately, it is in private hands, so they couldn't get more details
>>on it.
>
>        This sounds like a job for the...
>        CLADISITIC ASSASSIN!

Now, don't go hurting anybody!

>>A monster: twice Baryonyx's size or so.
>
>        Ummm... do you suppose it's time for all of us to rub
>_Giganotosaurus_ off the number one spot in the Top Ten Heaviest Terrestrial
>Carnivores of all Time list?  Calvinosaurus Wattersoni indeed!

Well, Giganotosaurus is still GIGANTIC, and is the largest theropod for
which we have a reasonable amount of material.  Until we know more about the
anatomy of the big Spinosaurus, it will be difficult to estimate its mass.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

"There are some who call me...  Tim."
-- Tim the Enchanter, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
---------- subtitle --[Monty Python ik den Holy Grailen]

"Tim?!?  They called me TIM?!?!"
-- Tom the Paleontologist, on seeing "The Ultimate Guide to T. rex" :-)