Re: Fish-eating theropods

Nick Longrich:

>> But then there is the new Spinosaurus skull mateiral that has a very
>> long premaxilla that looks like a gavial, may be some did eat fish, at
>> least part time.
>
>       Recall also that the VERY front two teeth on the lower jaw
>actually point FORWARD which is a feature seen in many rhamphorhynch,
>plesiosaurs, etc. In pretty much every other meat eater they all go
>backward! The condition is not as extreme as in rhamphorhynchs or
>plesiosaurs, but it is there to a degree, and it isn't seen in modern
>carnivores.

Maybe not in tetrapod carnivores - but it certainly is seen in fishes.
Some of the deep-sea anglers (eg Lasiognathus) positively bristle with
forward-angled teeth.  Tuskfishes (Choerodon spp) "have large protruding
canines used for moving rubble to expose invertebrate prey and prying
mollusks from the bottom", according to Lieske and Myers' "Coral Reef
Fishes - Indo-Pacific and Caribbean" (Collins1994).
1825 Shady Creek Court