Re: Rex Fall part 2

Wayne Anderson wrote:

> Fighter pilots routinely sustain forces well in excess of 6g for
> periods of seconds at a time, rather than just a momentary
> impact.

      "Momentary" is the important thing.  Fighter pilots build up the
gs more gradually.  I think if they were to go from 1 to 6 gs in an instant,
they would be massively smushed.  With a T.rex impact, we are talking
about a virtually intantaneous deceleration (someone with a little more
physics knowledge let me know if the build up acceleration and
deceleration is really relevant, or if there is more to it).

> factor of four, but mass by a factor of eight), we also have to
> consider that it had another leg, presumably still on the ground, with
> which it could apply force to minimize the impact.

      If it could get it up in time.  Yes, I know a animal falling from a
height has more time, but it is also going to take time to move that big heavy
leg.  If recovering from a trip was so simple, bipeds would never fall.

>         And, instincts being what they are (and presumably were),
> don't you think Rex would use its tremendous neck muscles to begin
> decelerating its head as soon as its torso hit? You can't just
> "seperately" drop torso and head -- they're still connected.  The head
> may have avoided impact entirely.

      An interesting point.  I wonder how well the neck musculature
could have resisted the impact forces.

>         Finally, I notice that a broken AND HEALED leg is on Sue's
> litany of war wounds.  I've never seen a biped that didn't fall when
> one of its legs was broken.  Evidently Sue hadn't read the
> calculations of Farlow et al, or she would have known she should have
> died then.

      Just because you don't get run over every time you cross the street
without looking doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.  Farlow et all noted
that not every fall would be fatal depending on the circumstances, simply
that the changes of serious injury and/or death were very significant.

LN Jeff
O-