Re: Airbagged(was Dive!Dive!Dive!)

Tom Holtz wrote:

> T. rex lived in many environments.  As Farlow (1993) and others have pointed
> out, predators today and in the past tend to be more widely distibuted over
> space and environments than contemporary herbivores (compare the historic
> range of pumas and wolves on the one hand with those of pronghorns or
> caribou on the other).  Furthermore, T. rex fossils have been found in
> (nearly?) all the Lancian terrestrial seds of western North America for
> which fossils are known, which included upland, coastal, and other
> environments.

      O.K., fine.  I'M DUMB, O.K.?! EVERYONE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

> T. rex's metatarsi are proportionately as long as those of Dryosaurus and
> Deinonychus, in an animal 100x or more their mass.

     Again, I think this gets back to the decreasing stress sustaining
limitations of bone as you increase overall mass.

> In fact, if you go by metatarsal proportion, it strongly suggests that
> tyrannosaurids were probably swifter than any other animal *in their size
> class* (note that it says nothing about comparisons with smaller animals).

     I'll go along with that entirely.  One of the points I was trying
to make is that in addition to having physical restraints from doing
so, T.rex did not HAVE risk running as fast as some smaller
animals can, because it was probably fast RELATIVE to its prey.
     I appreciate the reference.

LN Jeff
O-