Sue's "broken leg"

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Wayne Anderson wrote:

>         Finally, I notice that a broken AND HEALED leg is on Sue's
> litany of war wounds.  I've never seen a biped that didn't fall when
> one of its legs was broken.  Evidently Sue hadn't read the
> calculations of Farlow et al, or she would have known she should have
> died then.

        Just a quick question: Was not Sue's "broken leg" actually a
broken fibula?  If so I have a little story to relate: One of my
professors broke his fibula when a really heavy object impacted
against it (I would rather not name the object nor the impactor).  The
thing that amazed me was that he NEVER ONCE fell over (screamed and
cursed alot but didn't collapse to the ground).  Because we were in
the middle of nowhere with no transportation we ended up walking 2
miles+ back to camp (with him complaining the whole way).  The "break"
was actually a "medium fracture" (whatever that means in
M.D. parlance) and he was given a large amount of pain killers but
little else.

[I *think* Sue's break was a femur, but in any case, humans bear most
 all of their weight on their tibias.  I'm not at all surprised to
 hear of a person walking with a broken fibula because I'm pretty
 certain you can have your fibula removed with no one noticing any
 difference in the way you walk.  But fess up... *you* fell on the guy
 didn't you, Brian? :-) -- MR ]

        Just thought I would pass the story along (and mention how I am
sure glad sauropods have 4 legs!)

        Brian Curtice