RE: Rearing diploducids

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Cunningham, Betty wrote:

> Martin said:
> > [...]
> > Having just spent some time in your Coastal Redwood forest, I don't
> > see _any_ dinosaur pushing some of those suckers over
>
> You should be here during one of our rainy winters, when a good, stiff
> wind  will ALWAYS take out the one likeliest to fall on a road.  (Highway
> 17, Big Basin Road-oh the horrors) They have really really shallow root
> systems, by the way.  You can tell by looking at the tiny rootball after
> the tree tips over.  This happens a lot.  When one goes, it frequently
> brings down other trees with it.  This clears out where the undergrowth
> is shaded by the tree canopy, and the baby trees finally get enough light
> to grow into big trees. This is part of the Coastals life cycle.
> Suggests a need for something to knock over a few trees on a regular
> basis, now doesn't it?

I don't know about suggesting a need but it makes it more plausible to
imagine a sauropod doing the same, as far as strength is concerned.
On the other hand, I have troubles visualizing it because the long
neck surely must get in the way.

+----------+    Rich Travsky   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO . EDU
+----------+    http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/