Re: Rex Fall part 2

Jeffrey Martz wrote (quoting me):

> > Humans learn to fall on their butts, but not their tailbones
> > if they fall backwards, and learn to break their fall with their arms, so
> > they don't smash their head if falling forward.
>
>       Do whatever you want, I'll still bet your butt hurt like hell.  Be
> glad you don't weigh five tons.  What would be the T.rex equivalent of a
> gluteus maximus?  T.rex would have to land on SOMETHING, and as massive
> as it was, this means that something would be very likely to get broken.

Again, my point was: animals learn how to take falls while it is not lethal
to do so; ie when they are little.  So what if something gets broken?  The
point is that death is avoided.

>     If you ran every time you needed to get dinner over uneven and
> possibly obstacle ridden ground, especially if your attention was focused
> largely on your dinner which was trying really hard not to get caught,
> tripping and falling might well be more common.

I would actually support the idea that a T rex would pay attention to what it
was doing?  Do you really think that if a T rex was running in a thick forest
and looked at the ground to make sure there weren't any logs or such in its
way, its Edmontosaurus prey would suddenly dissapear?  Come on.....

>        Getting killed one out a hundred times you chase your prey isn't
> a tremendous overall gain.  Catching prey isn't a once in a lifetime
> occurrence, but something that is done habitually throughout a predator's
> lifetime.  How often would one have to be unlucky?

You know what I meant.  The point I was stating (and am stating again) is:
1) large animals learn how to take falls when they are young 2) not
recovering from being tripped is probably not as common in bipeds as some
might believe (it's probably more common in unstable bipeds like humans than
more stable ones like ostriches or Tyrannosaurs) and 3) the net benifets
gained from being a big fast predator FAR outweigh the pottential losses from
unrecoverable falls in these animals.

Peter Buchholz
gpb6845@msu.oscs.montana.edu

"Stummies?"