Re: Forward faceing teeth.

Martin Human wrote:

>and I'm not fully convinced that these forward pointing teeth in rhamphorhynch
>_do imply fish eating. I mean, ok you manage to spear a fish with your pointy
>front teeth, but then what? How do you get it into your throat from there?
>It's
>effectively prevented from descending the gullet by the very design of the
>teeth! You've got to stop, drop it (still wriggling and trying to escape)
>somehow pick it up (in flight, presumably), and then somehow toss it in the
>air
>maybe, and catch it and swallow it. And all this time, other sensisble fish
>catchers are having no problem 'cos they have backward pointy teeth.
>Discrepancy
>of interpretation or or what?
>
>What if they were used to catch non-wriggly jellyfish, which you carry back to
>your roost, and which don't try to wriggle away?

This is almost the same conversation I had with a few people at the
last SVP. If the fish were caught and held with the teeth I'm sure it
would have stuck to either the top or bottom teeth. Sure when it
opened it's mouth it would have freed either set of teeth, but stuck
on the other, how did it get the fish free?

IMOP the pterosaur might have sat down, pried the fish with it's
pointed wing claws and positioned the fish to be swallowed.

Tracy