Re: Fish eating theropods

Brian Franczak wrote:

>My problem is not that _Baryonyx_ et al ate fish, etc.

I agree.

>_Baryonyx_ teeth, to my knowledge, while semi-conical in
>cross-section, are finely serrated, a typical theropod trait. Does
>anyone out there know if crocodilian teeth are similarly serrated?

Sebecosuchian (Mainly the Mesozoic forms) teeth have often been
confused with theropod teeth.

I'm sure Brian would agree with the rest.

Lets look at the rest of the skeleton. Does it look like a crocodile?
No. Does it look like it could swim after a fish? No. Baryonyx is a
bipedal, terrestrial theropod, not quadrapedal like some artist have
drawn it. It didn't have the feet to walk in water, marsh, mud, etc. To
catch a fish with its claw it would have had to be very fast, it
couldn't lie in wait for a fish then catch it. I think to many people
are looking at just the skull and not the rest of the skeleton. (Kind
of like Monyonykus, ie. just looking at the claws and they think it
dug, but the rest of the skeleton shows otherwise).

I've read a few things about the despositional enviroment of the
Smokejack quarry. It's lacustrine/lagoonal/mudplan, but the fish
remains (manily scales, occasional teeth, fin bones and pieces of head
plate) are in large sideritic siltstone nodules. An Iguanodon humeurs
was found near Baryonyx and the fish remains. Could both Baryonyx and
the fish remains been mixed together?

I don't see any forward facing teeth in the dentary.

Tracy