GSA field trips

I'm not getting my e-mail.  Some sort of problem with phone lines,
apparently.

I had the opportunity to take two interesting field trips in conjunction
with the recent GSA meeting in Denver.  A pre-meeting trip took me to the
Four Corners area and plenty of exposures of the Chinle Fm. (home of
Coelophysis and many "thecodonts") and Kayenta Fm. (home of Dilophosaurus
and, I think, Scutellosaurus).  We were doing sedimentology and
stratigraphy, however, not paleontology.  Lots of nice paleosols.  After
the meeting, another trip took me to the Garden Park dinosaur site near
Can~on City, CO.  We didn't have time to visit the DMNH Stegosaurus
quarry, but we did see Marsh's 1880's quarries, including the one that
produced the "roadkill" stegosaur.  Dan Grenard of the BLM showed photos
of the DMNH stegosaur quarry while it was being worked, and one could see
the articulated tail as uncovered, with spikes splayed out to the side
and pointing slightly toward the rear, just as the new mount is shown in
DMNH.  The whole animal was preserved lying on its side, but the tail had
broken away from the rest of the body, and so it was able to come to rest
in the position mentioned.  By the way, the main part of the Stegosaurus
body is still in Can~on City, with only the skull and part of the neck (I
think) in Denver.  I don't know about the tail.  So the new mount in DMNH
is actually mostly the old Stegosaurus of the DMNH, but with the neck
ossicles added and new information on the tail spikes, as well as new
(straight and high) tail position.

Next year the national GSA will be in Salt Lake City.  Some interesting
field trips are planned for that meeting, as well.  These caught my eye,
and, if I'm still alive and kicking at that time, I'll be on at least one
of them:

1.  Alamo Impact Event and other Late Devonian Events

For you impact officianados, this trip will visit a Late Devonian bolide
impact site in Nevada, as well as other features such as the only large
Late Devonian reef in the western U.S.  A deep water site exposing rocks
deposited across the late Frasnian mass extinction event will also be
visited.  Of course, this is mainly an invertebrates trip, led by Carl
Sandberg, John Warme, and Jared Morrow.

2.  50th Anniversary of the Discovery of the Ghost Ranch Coelophysis
Quarry

This trip will visit three important dinosaur discovery sites: the Dalton
Well quarry north of Moab, UT in the Lower Cretaceous Cedar Mountain Fm.;
the type locality north of Monticello, UT of Dystrophaeus viaemalae, the
oldest North American sauropod; and, of course, the Ghost Ranch quarry in
northern New Mexico.  Trip leaders will be David Gillette, J. Lynett
Gillette, Barry Goldstein, and Edwin H. Colbert.  (I think Colbert is 91
now????)

3.  Lower to Middle Cretaceous Dinosaur Faunas of the Central Colorado
Plateau: A Key to Understanding 35 Million Years of Tectonics,
Sedimentology, Evolution and Biogeography

This trip will examine exposures of the Cedar Mountain and Dakota
Formations including four dinosaur faunas dated at approximately 125,
110, 100, and 95 Ma.  This sequence supposedly shows the transition from
North American dinosaur faunas with European affinities to those with
Asian affinities.  Opportunities for examining fossils collected from
these faunas will be provided in Price, UT and Grand Junction, CO.  This
trip will be led by Jim Kirkland, Brooks Britt, and Tim Lawton.

Let's go!

University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.