Re: paleontolgist, dinosaur

From: Brian Curtice <bcurtice@ic.sunysb.edu>

 > which leads me to ask if he has seen/heard Anton Wroblewski's work on
 > the K-T boundary in Wyoming.  Anton demonstrated that the ocean was
 > present in Wyoming through the Cretaceous (sharks, marine inverts
 > marine sediments, etc.) AND a few million years into the Paleocene,
 > indicating the regression did not get to the Gulf of Mexico by the end
 > of the Cretaceous.

I have just recently seen a brief summary of it.  I have not yet had a
chance to read the primary paper, or evaluate its strength.

My first gut reaction is to be skeptical of his conclusions, since
they are so contrary to prior results.  I would need to see how he
deals with the apparent absence of marine sediments elswehere in
that area.

 >  I was a huge fan of the regression/anoxia theory but after
 > seeing Anton's data I am no longer sure how tenable this hypothesis
 > will remain in the light of increased geologic studies of this region.

Oceanic anoxia is not necessarily associated with low sea levels, though
it is apparently more common during oceanic extrema.

Of course the evidence for oceanic anoxia at K-T boundary is, itself,
quite weak, as yet.

The peace of God be with you.