Re: PLEUROCOELOUS VERTEBRAE IN SAUROPODS

GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> How little most people understand about heat problems in land giants.
>
> 1 - Giant animals are not in particular danger of overheating, they store it
> in the daytime and dump it at night.

Mark raised some problems with this hypothesis.

I also find this a remarkable claim. Studies of really large crocs indicate
that they would achieve gigantothermic homeothermy at around 5,000kg by not
being able to dump heat at night. This is in tropical regions of Australia
where diurnal/nocturnal temperature differences are not huge (10-20 degrees
centigrade). However, it would still seem that really large animals are
going to have problems dumping heat at night.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd