Re: PLEUROCOELOUS VERTEBRAE IN SAUROPODS

At 11:52 AM 11/11/96 -0500, LN Jeff wrote:

>     Then exactly how DO they dump heat at night?  This seems to imply
>that the night will be so much cooler than the day that an 80 ton animal
>will have as much heat seep through its total surface area during the night
>as it picked up during the day.

        Alright.  In the interest of keeping the theromdynamics and heat
transfer discussions on the list up to snuff (as I myself have personally
muddied the waters in the past), would someone please step in and answer the
following questions on this topic before we go on.:
        [Mickey, if you have time, please feel free to [] comment to your
hearts content (within the moderation rules, of course).]
        1: Does heat loss progress at a different rate than heat gain,
ceteris paribus?  If so, is it possible to guesstimate a ballpark figure of
the coefficient for a big sauropod?
        2: Is rate of heat loss dependant on outside temperature?

        Wagner