Re: No dinosaurs in Quebec, Canada?

Denis Bombardier wrote:

>         I have a question to ask about dinosaurs in eastern part of North
> America: Why isn't there any dinosaurs found in Quebec, Canada?

Because there are no sedimentary rocks of that age in the province, although
see below.

>         Where I live in the "Canton de l'est" south-eastern part of the
> Quebec province, we have mountains from the Cretatious period.

I don't know where exactly you live in the eastern townships, but the
mountains you refer to are probably the "Monteregian Hills" (I do not
know if this is the proper translation of the French term), which are
of Cretaceous age, but are not made of sedimentary rocks. They are
igneous rock intrusions which formed in the Late Cretaceous, and these
intrusions were probably not visible on the surface when they formed
(subsequent erosion of the overlying rock deposits during the Cenozoic
shaped the land surface in southern Quebec and made it as it appears
today, i.e. relatively flat landscape with low, rounded hills "popping
up" here and there-> the more resistant Monteregian Hills).
The Monteregian Hills in the eastern townships include Mt. Megantic,
Mt. Brome (Bromont) and Mt. Shefford.

>         I know that this part of the continent was under water during part
> of the Cretatious but isn't there a chance of finding dino's that where
> living in the sea?

Even with my limited knowledge of the local geology, I can still confidently
say that southern Quebec (most of the province for that matter) was not
under water during the Cretaceous. It is my understanding that the
province has been higher than the sea level (i.e. in a terrestrial setting)
for most of the last two eras (Mesozoic and Cenozoic). If there were
terrestrial deposits of Mesozoic age in Quebec, they probably were
eroded subsequently, however, there is a bit of Cretaceous in the
Labrador Trough, near Schefferville. It is terrestrial but has not
yielded any animal remains (only plants). This deposit is so small
that it might not exist anymore (due to intense mining activity in that part
of the province).
Hope this answers your questions.

>  From Denis Bombardier (:=AD)>
> amateur paleontologist