Re: PLEUROCOELOUS VERTEBRAE IN SAUROPODS

>[In the past I've asked Greg to learn how to quote other peoples'
> messages.  Perhaps others could also give him a nudge.  I have no
> idea to whom he might be responding and I certainly don't want to dig
> through past messages to try to find out... -- MR ]
>
>You are confused. Animals thermoregulate! Giant reptiles might be able to be
>homeothermic by DELIBERATLEY retaining body heat at night, by minimizing
>blood flow to the skin. For giants with high metabolic rates to dump heat is
>merely a matter of flushing the skin with blood from the body core and
>letting the heat radiate into the cool night sky. Desert elephants up to 11
>tonnes do it all the time.
>
>GSPaul

He was responding to me and this is the reply I sent him.

The study of crocs I was refering to indicate that the crocs could not
effectively dump heat at night because of high nocturnal ambient
temperatures. The blood shunting you refer to occurs in reptiles living in
areas of low nocturnal temperatures but high diurnal temperatures. Desert
elephants are living in an environment of low nocturnal temperatures where
heat dumping is possible. But in an environment of higher nocturnal
temperatures, this strategy is not possible.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd