Re: paleontolgist, dinosaur

At 06:47 PM 11/14/96 -0500, John Bois wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jeff Poling wrote:
>
>>    I don't see how that changes anything.  Pterosaurs were not dinosaurs and
>> they were completely wiped out.
>
>Sorry again.  I misunderstood your point (I am a little slow).  Correct
>me if I'm wrong, but didn't many/most pterosaur species become extinct
>_before_ the K/T?

   I'm not a pterosaur person and I only ordered Wellnhofen's pterosaur
encyclopedia yesterday so I obviously don't have it yet.  But everything
I've read about *dinosaurs* includes the pterosaurs in the K/T extinction event.

>And isn't accepted that this was probably due to
>competition from birds?

   This is the first time I've seen this hypothesis.  I doubt it's true.
The first known flying bird is mid Jurassic, some 75 million years before
the K/T event.  Recent fossil finds show that birds were widespread and
diverse by the early Cretaceous at the latest ... yet pterosaurs survived
right up to the big figurative boom.

>My argument has always been that dinosaurs
>suffered because of new species being able to exploit them.

   Dinosaurs were always able to deal with this before ... why the sudden
change?  There had to be additional causes than simple competition.