Re: paleontolgist, dinosaur

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, John Bois wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 DRosent288@aol.com wrote:
> I'm not sure what the Montana data says about that.  Either they were
> already gone from there at the end, or Archibald didn't include them.
> Isn't it generally accepted though, that, except for a few stragglers,
> this lineage was directly outcompeted by birds?

        Pterosaurs were almost certainly, one would think, in decline, but
I read a paper abstract from SVP arguing that much of the percieved
decline could simply be lack of good fossils. There are long periods of
time where we don't get many pterosaur fossils, in fact, most of what we
know comes from lagerstatten. We probably wouldn't dream of the Early
Cretaceous being as diverse for pterosaurs as it was if it weren't for the
fact that we have Santana to look at, where it seems like every find is a
new species. So if we found a Late Cretaceous lagerstatten we might well
suddenly discover a lot of diversity we'd never even known about.
On the other hand, are there any pterosaur species coming out
of Las Hoyas, and does anyone remember offhand how it compares in age to
Santana? It seems strange that we should have no pterosaurs from Las
Hoyas (well, maybe I just haven't heard). But then, I can't think of any
birds from Santana, either. Weird.

[Martill & Filgueira (1994) reported a semi-plume feather from the Lower
Cretaceous Crato Formation of Brazil and Chiappe (1991) reported an avian
carpometacarpus from the Upper Cretaceous Bauru Formation - Chris

Chiappw, L.M. (1991) Cretaceous birds of Latin America. Cretaceous
Research, 12: 55-63

Martill, D.M & Filgueira, J.B.M. (1994) A new feather from the Lower
Cretaceous of Brazil. palaeontology, 37: 483-487.]