Re: paleontolgist, dinosaur

From: John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>
 > I'm not sure what the Montana data says about that.  Either they were
 > already gone from there at the end, or Archibald didn't include them.
 > Isn't it generally accepted though, that, except for a few stragglers,
 > this lineage was directly outcompeted by birds?

The only pterosaur I know of from the Late Maastrichtian of the
American midwest is _Quetzalcoatlus_, and it is not known from
as far north as Montana.

[A few fragments have sometimes been refered to pterosaurs, but
such fragments are often indeterminate between small dinosaurs, birds
and pterosaurs, so they are useless in this context].

The peace of God be with you.