Re: PLEUROCOELOUS VERTEBRAE IN SAUROPODS

>>I also find this a remarkable claim. Studies of really large crocs indicate
>>that they would achieve gigantothermic homeothermy at around 5,000kg by not
>>being able to dump heat at night. This is in tropical regions of Australia
>>where diurnal/nocturnal temperature differences are not huge (10-20 degrees
>>centigrade). However, it would still seem that really large animals are
>>going to have problems dumping heat at night.
>>
>A five tonne croc ? I thought that the record is 1114.27 kg (Guinness Book of
>Records)
>
>Gautam Majumdar                 gautam@majumdar.demon.co.uk

Correct. I guess that I didn't make it quite clear that the projections
from living large crocs (arounf 800 to 1000kg) indicate that a 5000kg croc
would be homeothermic. It is a projection rather than a real animal.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd