Millitary assistance?

Hello all,

Betty C.'s question about dig rigs (4X4's) prompted a private response
suggesting a huey helicopter might be a good tool for field work. After
sending that message I give the idea a little more thought and asked myself
a new question."Has anyone tried to gain the assistance of the National
Gaurd or other such millitary organization in the recovery of a really
important but hard to handle specimen(s), and maybe even ferry the crew to
hard to reach places?"

[A few years ago an attempt was made to remove a large slab containing the
holotype of the Ediacaran fossil _Charniodiscus arboreus_ from the Flinders
Ranges, with the assistance of an army helicopter.  However the slab was
too precariously placed to make extraction viable. - Chris]

It seems a worthwhile use of resources to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

On a completely different tangent, regarding THE extinction that causes us
to study, and not be, dinosaurs. Is it possible that a bolide could carry a
biological agent that would have been able to spread throughout the
biosphere, be impossible to detect now (or accepted as "always" being
here), and deadly to almost everything? This would make Dr. Bakker right,
but in the backdoor sortta way. I don't know if it's even possible for any
microscopic life, as we know it, to survive who knows how long in space and
the inital cause of it being there, survive the earth impact event, and
then adapt to an alien ecosystem well enough to kill almost everything
else. This agent could have died with its victims and left no evidence
whatsoever, couldn't it?

Before someone whips out the "Joe Friday" macro, I'm just asking if this is
possible in your opinion, not speculating or suggesting that it did.

BTW can anyone point me toward the olfactory lobe aspects of
Pachycephalosaur wyomingensis I asked about a couple months ago?

Roger A. Stephenson

"Where is Mr. Garabaldi"?