Re: PLEUROCOELOUS VERTEBRAE IN SAUROPODS

Mr. G. Paul wrote:
> It has been known since the 1950s(!) that large tropical mammals and
birds
> regularly store heat on hot days by allowing body temp to rise as high as
> to114(!)F. (The brain is kept cool by countercurrent heat exchangers.)
For a
> list of the relevant literature see my paper in Modern Geology 1991
16:69-99.
> In fact, I would suggest that ALL those involved in this discussion first
> read that paper and the references therein before contributing further to
> this discussion, which so far has been mainly a combination of nonsense
and
> lack of basic knowledge of animal thermodynamics.
>
> GSPaul

I, for one, am not arguing against large animals storing heat, but animals
_do_ overheat and have to have an effective cooling mechanism like
sweating, panting, or flapping huge, highly vascular ears (allowing heat to
rise in less heat sensitive areas of the body, while cooling the brain can
also be seen as an extreme method of coping with overheating -- not
necessarily stockpiling the heat for the cool night).  Typically, methods
that are sufficient for, say, humans are less effective for larger animals
-- and this is simple thermodynamics.

Van