Re: Archaeopteryx's birthday

At 12:35 PM 11/16/96 +1030, you wrote:
>   None of the references I have, including _The Dinosauria_, lists the
>era/stage that Archaeopteryx is associated with.  They merely say "Late
>Jurassic."  Anybody happen to know the era/stage Archie is associated with?

Archaeopteryx is from the Kimmeridgian (middle Late Jurassic), c.
154.7-152.1 Ma.  Incidentally, almost all the recent geochron work
(biostrat, isotope, etc.) shows that the vast majority of Morrison dinosaur
bearing horizons are ALSO Kimmeridgian (including Dry Mesa, which turns out
to be from the middle, not the top, of the stack).  We really don't know
what Tithonian (late Late Jurassic) dinos looked like, unless Tendaguru
and/or the Chinese Late J dinos turn out to be Tithonian.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877