Re: Toxodon

At 08:35 AM 11/20/96 +1030, S. M. Moore wrote:

>I found a brief mention of a "now extinct creature" labeled "toxodon" in
>a book copyright 1956. What was this creature? Has it been relabeled with
>a different name?

According to old (Linnean) classification, Toxodon and the family Toxodontidae
were South American notoungulates of the Pliocene and Pleistocene. Toxodon
itself is described as rhinoceroslike, about 2.7 meters long fully grown, and
probably a mixed browser and grazer.
        The classification may have been changed somewhat by cladistic analysis
-- my info here is a few years old.

Wayne Anderson