Another useless question: evidence

   While reading a tome about a Gish appearance at Rutgers, I suddenly
wondered what a specific type of evidence is called.

   Specifically, its been said that _Protoceratops andrewsii_ cannot be the
*direct* ancestor of _Triceratops_ because of certain specializations not
present in Trikes.  However, it is very much like the expected ancestor, and
is damn good evidence that this expected ancestor existed.

   What is this type of evidence called?  I was thinking "circumstantial
evidence," but that can't be correct.....