Re: Early Adaptive Radiation of Birds

> ABSTRACT: " Late Jurassic and Early Cretaceous birds from northeastern
> China, including many complete skeletons of
> _Confuciusornis_, provide evidence for a fundamental dichotomy in the class
> Aves that may antedate the temporal
> occurrence of the Late Jurassic _Archaeopteryx_.

     I might point out that even if Fedducia's bird DOES turn out to
antedate _Arcaheopteryx_, it does not eliminate dinosaurs as bird
ancestors.  _Archaeopteryx_ may simply have retained the intermediate
design between theropods and birds, while a closely related form derived
those features further and evolved into true birds.

LN Jeff
O-