Re: Millitary assistance?

At 8:30 AM 11/20/96, Jeffrey Martz wrote:

>     The 1992 "roadkill" stegosaurus from Canon City, when fully plastered,
>weighed something like 7 tonnes.  The Army lent a big helicopter (I don't know
>what kind-it was a two propeller deal) to get it out of the gulch.  The
>weight of the speciemn was near the helicopter's carying capacity, so
>there was some concern at the time that they might get up into the air,
>start having problems, and have to cut the thing loose (I would not have
>wanted to be on the ground if THAT happened).

        It was a Chinook helicopter that Ft. Carson (the local army base)
lent to the cause.  They were happy to do it, but thereafter, the Pentagon
came down rather hard on the higher-ups at the base, and they were
essentially told never to do that again without getting Pentagon permission
first.  8-Z

Jerry D. Harris                       (214) 768-2750
Dept. of Geological Sciences          FAX:  (214) 768-2701
Southern Methodist University         jdharris@post.smu.edu
Box 750395                            (CompuServe:  73132,3372)
Dallas  TX  75275-0395

"Robert got into dinosaurs when he was about 3...It's a power thing:
children like the idea of creatures that were much, much bigger and
stronger than mommies and daddies are.  If a little boy is doing something
bad, such as deliberately pouring apple juice onto the television
remote-control device, a mommy or daddy can simply snatch the little boy up
and carry him, helpless, to his room.  But they would not dare try this
with _Tyrannosaurus rex_.  No sir.  _Tyrannosaurus rex_ would glance down
at Mommy or Daddy from a height of 40 feet and casually flick his tail
sideways, and Mommy or Daddy would sail directly through the wall, leaving
comical cartoon-style Mommy-or-Daddy-shaped holes and the _Tyrannosaurus
rex_ would calmly go back to pouring apple juice on the remote-control
device."
                                            .           -- Dave Barry
                                           //
                                          / /
                                         / /
                                 ____   / /
                                (    \ /O /
                                 \    V@ /
                                  \_   _/
                     ,,,           / _/         ,,,
                _____\\\     ___  / /  ___     ///_____
            ___/_____)^^^-_-/   \ ! ! /   \-_-^^^(_____\___
        ___/___/,,,,,,,`-._,----\ \! !/ /--._,---'     \___\___
      _/___/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\     /,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\___\_
    _/_/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/     \ ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\_\_
   /_/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(       ) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\_\
                                 ! ) ( !
                                 // V \\
                                (/     \)