Re: NEW ZEALAND'S WONDERFUL LITTLE WORLD

Paul Willis <pwillis@ozemail.com.au> wrote

>>[Gondwanaland, one word - Chris]
>
>Seeing as "Gondwana" means "Land of the Gonds", "Gondwanaland" would mean
>"Land of the Gonds Land", which is nonsensicle and should not be used.

Gondwana in one Indian dialect means Forest of the Gonds. During
British rule it was the name of an administrative district which
included the geological formation now called the Gondwana series.
Thus, in English Gondwanaland would mean the land which held the
Gondwana district or the geological formation of that name.

After all, we are using English for geological description, not the old
Karnataki dialect, whatever be the original meaning of the word :)

Gautam Majumdar         gautam@majumdar.demon.co.uk