Re: Question after Utahraptor

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 12:09:56 -0500 Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:
      Debra Boaz wrote:
>>     I had to jump in here - "Sonorasaurus" is a tentative name for
>> an indeterminate sauropod, probably a brachiosaurid - given by David
>> Thayer and Ron Ratkevich of the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, the
>> institution managing the ongoing excavation.

> First published, so I understand, in an anonymous article in 1995 in
> an Arizona newspaper (somewhere I have a photocopy of this
> article). If this dinosaur is ever formally described under the name
> _Sonorasaurus_, the authors of the description will be given their
> proper attribution, of course, and the name will stop being a _nomen
> nudum_.

        As an avocationist who is fairly new to the field, I'm still
coming to grips with terms such as _nomen nudum_ or _nomen dubium_.
Thanks for helping me get a little clearer on them. That's why I cited
the articles - just as back-up. BTW - the article you refer to was
published in the Arizona Republic in 1995.

>Pretty small sauropod, by the way. Small enough to be initially taken
>for a hadrosaur.

         Sonorasaurus has gone through a good deal of "evolution" in it's
recent "life". They've been trying to identify it as each piece comes to
light. S-saurus was originally thought to be a sauropod, then became a
possible hadrosaur in Ratkevich and Thayer's paper (Southwest
Paleontological Society (SPS), Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Fossils of
Arizona  symposium,1995). At the SPS 1995 symposium, Thayer made a
reference to what he thought was a manus claw core similar to
Therizinosaur, but which eventually turned out to be a chevron. Since
1995, more cranial material (but no teeth) has been excavated, returning
the identity to sauropod.

>And--many thanks for all the references and new information in your
>post!
       You're very welcome. Sonorasaurus is my "pet" - ever since
Ratkevich hinted about it at the SPS 1994 symposium. Last October, I was
fortunate enough to participate in the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum
excavation with a few other SPS members, and Dr. Yuri Gubin from the
Paleo. Institute of Moscow. Such a thrill for a lowly avocationist!

        Deb Boaz
        SPS editor and slowly learning avocationist