Re: (Long) word from the sole "non-stealthy egg" believer

John Bois wrote:

> You can only do one of two things if you lay eggs:
> hide them or defend them.  This is a fact!  You cannot just leave
> them lying around because they will be eaten.

     As a matter of fact you can...you can lay such a huge number of
eggs, without bothering to hide or protect them, that even a tiny
survival percentage will insure survival.  You see this kind of
extremely high r strategy mainly in invertebrates (not reptiles and
birds, so this is petty bitching on my part), but most egg
layers are making the assumption that most of the eggs won't survive.
Its a careful balance between likely infant mortality and parental
investment.

> They most likely had an impact on all the species of the late
> Cretaceous.

    Even all the marine species that they never came in contact with,
including ammonites and protists?  And you haven't explained the mass
extinctions of bird and mammal groups that occurred at the K-T extinction.
Were they eating themselves?

>      In any case, you are missing my point.  I am not arguing
> that there was not an environmental stressor at the K/T, only
> that attempts to link it to dinosaur extinction are weak.

     Why why why why why??

> 1. Mammals can run away with baby safe inside, whereas dinos must
> fight or abandon.  This seems self-evident unless you can provide
> Jason Lillegraven and myself with evidence to the contrary.

     What couldn't a dinosaur fight off?

> 2. With regard to offspring, mammals have a smaller window of
> vulnerability.  For example a wildebeest baby hits the ground
> running.  A dinosaur baby must sit relatively exposed until
> hatched.

     But there are a lot more of them.  Again, you are assumiong high K
is a better reproductive strategy than high r.  Both do the job.  You are
confusing high infant mortality with low SPECIES fitness.

> And the strategy you are apparently suggesting for the dinosaurs, of
> spraying their eggs all around the country side in the hope that
> some of them will hatch, does not seem feasible to me.

     It works for the most successful animals alive today.

LN jeff
O-