Re: Info source request: Triumphs and Tragedies of Dinosaur Paleo

lipkowit@midway.uchicago.edu wrote:

> Hey, all. Three posts in two months -- must be a new record for this
> lurker!
>
> I'm approaching the final stages of the kids' dinosaur book which I'm
> supposedly co-authoring. There is one chapter which I was asked to
> research, however, for which I have not yet found enough solid
> information.  I rather hoped that a few of you kind folks would be able
> to point me in the direction of some good source material covering
> significant (or even just interesting) losses and/or rediscoveries (it's
> a lost & found thing, y'see) in dinosaur paleontology.  I'm particularly
> interested in finding more information on the destruction of
> _Spinosaurus_ and other fossil victims of warfare.

Aegyptosaurus > A.baharijensis (Stromer,1932). Aegyptosaurus baharijensis
based on only one  specimen consisting of 3 caudal vertebrae, a  partial
scapula, and 9 limb bones from the  Cenomanian of Egypt, is another of
the oldest  examples of a titanosaurid. Regrettably, this  specimen was
destroyed during World War II.

Poekilopleuron > P.bucklandii (Eudes-Deslongchamps,1838) Forelimb
elements. Illustration: A: humerus B: ulna C: radius D: metacarpal E:
distal tibia in cranial, caudal, and ventral views F: astragalus.
P.bucklandii is based on one of the first theropod skeletons found, but
unfurtunately much of the  skeleton was destroyed, prior to collection
(Eudes -Deslongchamps,1838) What was collected was  destroyed in World
War II.

Spinosaurus > S.aegyptiacus (Stromer,1915) > S.sp.(1) > S.sp.(2) >
S.sp.(3) > S.sp.(4) > Siamosaurus suteethorni. A world war II bombing
raid destroyed the then few known bones of one of the longest and
strangest of all carnivorous dinosaurs.

With regards
Fred Bervoets
fb@nrc.nl