Re: MAASTRICHTIAN PTEROSAURS

My 250 kg mass estimate for Quetalcoatlus is in Modern Geology 1991
16:69-99. BTW, in a more recent paper Marden took my mass estimate,
and showed that at 500 lbs or more the pterosaur may have been able to
take off vertically, assuming it had very large flight mucles
configured for burst flying. Alternately it ran to take off if its
flight muscles were configured for sustained flapping flight. Marden
is showing that giant fliers are not as constrained as many think.
Wild turkeys are among the largest flying birds, and they take off
vertically.  Swans are the heviest fliers, and they power fly for
hundreds of miles, never soar (how they do so is not yet known).

GSPaul