Re: African dinosaurs

In a message dated 96-11-25 12:20:26 EST,
T.Williams@cclru.randwick.unsw.edu.au (Tim Williams) writes:

> 1. "Gravisaurus" - the big iguanodontid from the same site in Niger
> that yielded _Ouranosaurus_ - is there any plans to officially name
> this thing?

_Gravisaurus tenerensis_ is still a _nomen nudum_ because the student who
described it in her Master's thesis is no longer in paleontology. Philippe
Taquet is presently working on it, and rumor has it that he'll be may name it
something else. This is the "iguanodonte trapu" mentioned in his 1976
monograph on _Ouranosaurus nigeriensis_.

> 2. Does anyone have any ideas regarding _Sigilmissasaurus_'s
> relationships?

Didn't Dale Russell call this a spinosaurian (in its own family,
Sigilmassasauridae)? I guess not everyone believes this...

> 3. _"Cetiosaurus" mogrebiensis_ - will this be referred to a new
> sauropod genus?

Perhaps it should be, but it's not yet clear that the nearly complete
Moroccan sauropod skeleton is referable to _Cetiosaurus mogrebiensis_; it
might become the type specimen of a new genus and species. Don't know whether
the people who were working on it 10-15 years ago are still working on it
now.