Re: HEAVY ANKYLOSAURS

In a message dated 96-11-25 12:49:24 EST, dwn194@soton.ac.uk (Darren Naish)
writes:

> At the BMNH we have a fantastic _Euplocephalus_ (the type of
> _Scolosaurus_ I think) which is lying on its side. Can't recall if
> it's on display in the new . exhibit though (used to be in the main
> hall behind the _Diplodocus_).

Indeed, this is the type specimen of _Scolosaurus cutleri_, described by
Nopsca way back in 1928. Nopsca imagined it was a giant insectivore(!). He
also noted the imprint of a leaf found within the body cavity, apparently
something that had drifted in post-mortem. Coombs considered the skeleton a
specimen of _Euoplocephalus tutus_, but more recently it has been argued (was
Ken Carpenter involved in this?) that it is a specimen of _Dyoplosaurus
acutosquameus_ and different from _Euoplocephalus_. Unfortunately, although
its body and armor are superbly preserved (one of the best North American
ankylosaur armor specimens ever found), there is neither skull nor tail club,
which would help to nail down its systematic position.