Re: flapping from gliding

Stan Friesen wrote:

>However, is it no possible that the "difficult" step is the transition
>from gliding to powered flight?
>
>This certainly goes with your point that the two require different
>types of arm motion.
>
>swf@elsegundoca.ncr.com                sarima@ix.netcom.com

Perhaps a better way to put what I am trying to say is that I don't see
gliding as a necessary precursor to powered flight, nor do I see gliding as
an "intermediate" stage in te evolution of powered flight.  That does not
mean that a glider could not evolve into a flyer - only that finding a late
Permian or Triassic glider does NOT a priori mean finding a protobird!
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5