Re: SAKIS ARE _NOT_ SIFAKAS OF COURSE..

In a message dated 96-09-30 22:30:47 EDT, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

> And since maniratorian dinosaurs are already that way, suggesting
> birds derived from proto-maniraptorians gets around it even better -
> especially if they, too, were semi-arboreal.

Birds--that is, birds of modern aspect--must indeed be derived
"proto-maniraptorans," a one-word description of the as-yet-unknown
dino-birds that preceded _Archaeopteryx_ and were close to the common
ancestry of the clade Maniraptora. My questions have to do with the
physical appearance and behavior of these animals. Were they bipedal?
Scansorial?  Climbers? Gliders? Fliers? Did they have feathers?
"Pre-feathers"? Did they have retroverted halluces? Can we say
>anything< meaningful at all about them? BADD says they looked pretty
much like small, bipedal theropod dinosaurs (which we have examples of
in the fossil record, of course), though possibly feathered; BCF says
they were rather different-looking (but not >too< different-looking,
of course), and that we have not yet identified them in the fossil
record.