Re: Formal definition of the Dinosauria

In a message dated 96-10-01 15:57:17 EDT, jpoling@dinosauria.com (Jeff
Poling) writes:

> So whut is the "official" definition of dinosauria?

We've bandied this about before. Dinosauria = the clade formed by the
common ancestor of _Iguanodon_ and _Megalosaurus_ and all of its
descendants (whatever they are). If this happens to exclude
sauropodomorphs (I don't think it does, but there exist phylogenies in
which Ornithischia and Theropoda are considered more closely related
to each other than either is to sauropods), then throw _Cetiosaurus_
into the definition as well.