Re: Ruffled feathers

Paul Davis wrote:

> from a pathetic statistical sample size) shows that Archaeopteryx and
> Compsognathus did not have body contour feathers.  Most people believe
> because Archae is a "bird" it must have had a feathered body.

     I hate to sound stupid, but do body contour feathers serve a
practical purpose in a flying animal, not just as thermoregulation for
endotherms?  I guess I am thinking about the cooling effect of the fast
passage of an animal through the air, and how it might be good to have
insulation to keep from getting chilled.

LN Jeff
0-