Re: Mongolian dinosaur inspires religion in grad student

At 03:48 PM 10/2/96 -0500, Dinogeorge wrote:

>Before we go any further into this, just what is Alvarezsauridae these days?

        Can we not get further into this?  I'm quite exhausted after a week
or two of meeting you head-on, and I'm sure everyone else is too.

>Yes, I know it contains _Alvarezsaurus_(!), but I've seen it bruited about
>that _Mononykus_ and _Patagonykus_ are in this family, too. On comparing

        What's a Patagonykus?  Ref?

>_Mononykus_ with _Alvarezsaurus_ from published illustrations and
>photographs, I see precious few similarities, and I don't see how these two
>forms are confamilial; more data is needed, if you please. Inclusion of
>_Mononykus_ in Alvarezsauridae would >have< to affect these cladograms in
>some way.

        Personally, I have never seen the Alvarezsaurus paper.  Since most
everybody who is opining  seems to be up on that clade including Mononykus
and Avimimus, I grabbed the name of the clade for the cladogram.  Avimimus
and Monoykus are virtually inseperable on my cladogram (although I hope to
improve the data on Mononychus shortly, plus add some higher bird taxa so it
has the possibility of being one...).  Sloppy taxonomy, yes, but considering
the confusion the cladeogram has already needlessly caused Senor
Perez-Moreno, I hope everybody realizes by now that it was just what I said
it was, a work in progress...

>Also, including _Compsognathus_ and therezinosauroids in the same low-level
>clade is completely absurd. What could >possibly< be the basis for this? -->

        Aw Jeez.  That clade has been the unanimous result of many many runs
of the dataset.  I am analysing the data, but all things considered, I'd
rather not say right now why this is.  Quite frankly, I have a little
trouble taking your objection seriously since you a) believe that
therizinosaurs aren't theropods, and b) have not provided any evidence to
against this (ie. in support of another distribution within the clade given
(coelurosaurs)).  In any case, I said it is a work in progress, which I was
reluctant enough to share.  Any constructive comments would still be
appreciated.

        Wagner

+-------------******ONCE AGAIN, NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADRESS******---------------+