Re: [davis@kahaku.go.jp: Q's arising from Archaeopteryx feathers]

George Olshevsky wrote:

>There is >no< "well-argued hypothesis" explaining how feathers developed,
>period, just a lot of Just So Stories,

I'm not sure that this is true. I remember a Gould essay dealing with the
development of flight feathers from down feathers which had lots of numbers
and graphs in it so it must have been true. I've just checked my library
and suspect that this essay is in "The Flamingoes Smile" which is the only
title in the series that I have lost. Does any one out there have a copy
they can check in?

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist