Re: Questions of Various Kinds

In a message dated 96-10-07 21:29:55 EDT, nino@ccuam3.sdi.uam.es writes:

> You can read the paper by Chiappe (Nature, 1995; I can't remember
> now the issue, but I think that some days ago somebody give the
> exact reference), where he made a review of the first 85 million
> years of avian evolution.

One problem with Luis Chiappe's paper: it covers the >second< 85 million
years of avian evolution, not the first. The >first< 85 million years of
avian evolution is mainly that part leading from the common ancestor of
Dinosauria through _Protoavis_ to _Archaeopteryx_. Unfortunately, given the
presently known fossil record, a review of the first 85 million years would
be rather short (unless the theropod side branches were covered...).