Feathers vs other insulators

Jonathan R. Wagner wrote:

>         Yes, but feathers, with their intricate rebranching structure are
> better insulators than "ANY kind of hairlike dermal structures", am I
> correct PG?

If this were so, I would have expected animals living in cold
conditions to have evolved hairs mimicking feather structure. But as
far as I know (and I'll probably be told otherwise!) they don't; what
they do evolve is different hairs in different densities. Feathers are
good insulators, sure, but I don't see how they can be "better".