Re: What is an "active ectotherm"?

George Olshevsky wrote:

>It seems perfectly clear to me that endothermy did not develop overnight.
>Since it seems to be an intricate kind of physiology, it surely evolved in
>stages, over quite a few millions of years. Perhaps active ectothermic
>dinosaurs represent such an intermediate stage or stages in the development
>of true avian endothermy. Perhaps the question we should be asking is, Why is
>there endothermy at all?

See Ruben, J.  1995. The evolution of endothermy in mammals and birds:  from
physiology to fossils.  Annu. Rev. Physiol. 57:69-95.

TDJ
:-{)
    Terry D. Jones                             Voice:  541/737-6120       |
    Oregon State University              Fax:      541/737-0501
    Dept. of Zoology                         JONEST@bcc.orst.edu
    3029 Cordley Hall
    Corvallis, OR  97331-2914