Re: What is an "active ectotherm"?

Jonathan Wagner wrote:

>         No.  This is not the only alternative to your hypothesis.  One
> alternative is that the transition to endothermy was fast, in a geological
> sense, and that it is unlikely that we will find transitional fossils at
> all.  You have given no reason why the transition *must* have a priori taken
> place, as I quoted you "surely... in stages" and "over quite a few million
> years".  this is the "back-up" I requested.
>         Any modern textbook on evolution will address the possibility I have
> adressed above.  Go to the index and look up "punctuated equilibria".

     Besides, if dinobirds really evolved feathers as cushioning for
falling out of trees, wouldn't we expect the develoment of integument to
take case fairly quickly?  That is a pretty hefty selective pressure.
     I'm curious as to if there are any birds that can achieve a fast
running takeoff without an extra heavy burst of flapping.
     Darren Naish has obviously gotten a hold of the "Top Fifty Sexual
References in Star Wars" list.

LN Jeff