Provisional name for a new dino tooth from the Arundel Clay

For those interested in continuing research in the  dinosaurs of the Arundel
Clay, Potomac Group of central Maryland , a new publication commemorating the
100th anniversary of the Marylnd Geological Survey is now out.  Starting on
page 87 through  page 111 is a paper by Dr. Peter M. Kranz regarding the
above. Also featured is some of Greg Paul's fine art work.
In light of the recent release of Weishampel and Young's  "Dinosaurs of the
East Coast",  it is a must have for both the history of paleontology as well
as that for the latest on the current stae of affairs including the embryonic
"Dinosaur Park".  But I digress...

In my previous post regarding the SVP, I  alluded to an "enigmtic tooth". I
know what I am about to say is viirtual sacrolage but here goes.  Most of the
fossil material present in the Arundel are in the form of teeth. Scant little
has been recovered in an articulaed condition let alone a complete unit.
Hence most of the remains are poorly  known and the systematic and taxonomic
position of the "known" species are subject to debate.  In light of this fact
, the author now feels it is necessary to at least assign a
____provisional____ name to some specimens if nothing else, for the sake of
communications when discussing the material. And if and when more material
becomes available which  facilitates the __formal__ naming of the taxon, it
is hoped that the provisional  nomen will be considered at least as  a
guideline.  I must say that I am in full agreement with his reasoning. A
century of referring to  Maryland's various dinosaurs as the "specimen of
unknown affinities", or theropod indet., sauropod indet., ornithopod indet.
etc  is very cumbersome. I think Peter has something here.
For those attending the SVP, Peter has a cast of the specimen in question.
Provisionally  called Magulodon muirkirkensis  (Kranz, 1996)  and means
Cheektooth of Muirkirk. It is figured in the centennial volume, figure 11,
page107 and is the only tooth of this particular morphology found at the site
to date.

The full text is ,

Kranz, Peter M., 1996, Notes on the sedimentary iron ores of Maryland and
their dinosaurian fauna pp. 87-111. In Brezinski, David K. and Reger, James
P.  eds, 1996, Studies in  Marylnd Geology - in commemoration of the
centennial of maryland geological survey.  Marylnd Geologic Survey Special
Pub #3

Comments?

Regards,
Thomas R. Lipka