Re: DCC NEWSLETTER

Darren Naish wrote:

> RAPTORS: THE NASTIEST DINOSAURS - Don Lessem's book is finally
> appearing in the bookshops over here (at last). I bought it because
> it's full of Dave Peters' fantastic illustrations. They are
> *amazing*.

Thank you, Darren.  :>  Thank you very much.

> In the rather annoying 'about the author' bit at the back, two other
> Lessem books are referred to -'Troodon: the smarmiest (sic)
> dinosaur' and 'Ornithomimids: the fastest dinosaurs'. Are these
> illustrated by Dave too?

No.  Buy I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm, all the same.

If I may, I'd like to use Mr. Naish's review as a segue to a nice speculative
topic - propatagia on dromaeosaurs. They're not preserved, but I've
illustrated them on the raptors of RAPTORS!   Bird propatagia appear to do
double duty, as airfoils and as mechanisms to prevent the over-extension of
the wing during flight.  Drag forces are a problem evidently. (see Brown,
Baumel and Klemm, 1995).

Imagine the drag forces of a dromaeosaur hanging from its prey by its
grappling hook fingers. Perhaps the Lig. propatagiale and Lig. limitans
cubiti might have been useful in preventing elbow overextension in this case.
If pterosaurs and archaeopterygiformes hung from trees, perhaps a similar
over-extension preventative mechanism was used by them as well.  In fact, in
pterosaurs it may have become partly ossified as the pteroid (pointing back
toward the shoulder, not out in front). Any thoughts?

Glad to be back with the forum.
David Peters