Re:

Thomas R. Lipka wrote:

> For those attending the SVP, Peter has a cast of the specimen in
> question.  Provisionally called Magulodon muirkirkensis (Kranz,
> 1996) and means Cheektooth of Muirkirk. It is figured in the
> centennial volume, figure 11, page107 and is the only tooth of this
> particular morphology found at the site to date.

If this "enigmatic" tooth does indeed have a unique morphology
compared to teeth found in ANY other site in the world, then there's
no doubt that it deserves its own binomial.

I have no in-principal objection to giving new binomial names to teeth
(or other remains) that are probably indeterminate, just for the sake
of convenience.  But there are those who would froth at the mouth at
such a prospect.

Tim Williams

"I assure you Lord Vader, my men are working 18 hours a day to
complete this station."
"That isn't good enough.  I want them to work twice that."
"You mean they should work 36 hours a day."
"I'm a sadist, Admiral, not a mathematician."