Re: Dino feathers discovered!!!!

Nick Longrich wrote:

>       I would also propose a hat's off to Gregory "Nobody ever listens
> to me!" Paul who's proposed this for years.

Damn straight.

>       Wow. I guess now the question is, How far back do they go? This is
> just @#%^$&^& incredible.... but it just begs to be answered whether
> ornithopods had them too. Here's where the cladograms get really
> interesting. Anything that fits in the clade uniting this animal and birds
> will most parsimoniously be assumed to be feathered.

Or, as I propose (maybe Greg does too), that pterosaur fur and Coelurosaur
feathers (it feels so good to say "Coelurosaur feathers") are homologous
structures and that all ornithodirans were furry (or feathered) at some point
in their life.  One could  theorise that feathers developed from fur because
they were prettier or better insulators.  Who knows?

>       Cripes. So that's our question, now- are they a specialized
> feature of one branch of the dinosaur family tree (heheh- I just had a
> thought- feathered segnosaurs.

Actually...  If you want, I can give you the address of a drawing of
Alxasaurus I did that has degenerate ratite-style feathers...

> Now doesn't that look funny! Sorry, George. ;) ) or do they perhaps
> go all the way back to the base or- god only knows- back to
> pterosaurs, if pterosaurs are close enough? I'm having trouble
> picturing feathers poking from between the scutes of a
> Scutellosaurus... but hell, anything is possible now.

Think of a furry underbelly, it looks more normal.

>       What a brave new world, that has such dinos in it!

Indeed!

Peter Buchholz
gpb6845@msu.oscs.montana.edu

Why do so many people were shirts that say "Fueled by Powerbar(tm)" while
they're smoking?